Last Updated May 2020
Thank you for being a part of the EMDRIA Online Community. It is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in ongoing conversations about EMDR and mental health practice. To ensure the best possible experience for all members and in order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we have established the following guidelines for participation.
Participation in the EMDRIA Online Community is a privilege, and not a right, of membership. Any post that violates a Community Participation Rule or is determined to be inappropriate for any reason may be removed at EMDRIA’s sole discretion. EMDRIA also reserves the right to moderate posts or individuals and suspend or terminate access to the community for any reason at any time.
Community Participation Rules
- All messages must add to the body of knowledge. Irrelevant, off topic, or inappropriate posts may be rejected or removed. Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Commercial advertisements of any kind are strictly prohibited in discussions threads, resource libraries, or other community area where others might see it.
- Includes, but is not limited to, EMDR Trainings, EMDRIA Credit Programs, consultation or training services, books, or any other products or services provided at a cost, regardless if it is offered by you or someone else.
- Rule of Thumb: If the only option to obtain a training, service, or product is by purchasing it, it should not be shared in the online community.
- Examples (referring to for-profit trainings, products, and services)
- Posting a training description with dates, locations, or cost.
- Linking or directing to a training website or training registration page.
- Linking or directing to a commerce site, such as Amazon, where a product may be purchased.
- Offering consultation services or sharing information about consultation groups.
- Offering free introductory services or products as a means to advertise other services and products.
- Linking or directing to a listserve, mailing list, or group such as Yahoo or Facebook, which is used for advertising purposes.
- The Only Exception: If an individual posts to the community specifically asking for a resource, you may respond to the person directly to share a for-profit resource by using “Reply to Sender.”
- Do not use “Reply to Group.” Responding to the entire community is considered advertising as it is disseminating this type of information to individuals who did not specifically request it.
- Posts containing advertising of any kind may be edited to remove the related content or the post may be removed in its entirety.
- Contacting another member through the online community (or EMDRIA website) with unsolicited advertisement of trainings, services, or products is strictly prohibited.
- Soliciting members through the online community (or EMDRIA website) for participation in research studies or surveys is strictly prohibited.
- Don’t divert conversations to a forum outside of the EMDRIA Online Community. EMDRIA is not affiliated with any groups or forums created outside of this community and does not endorse nor is responsible for any of their content.
- Respect patient privacy. Don’t post any patient personal health information or images without appropriate permissions and ensuring that you are in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Questions regarding EMDRIA policies and procedures should be directed to EMDRIA by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (512) 451-5200. This is to ensure that you receive the correct and most current information available. EMDRIA is not responsible for misinformation that may be posted by members in the community.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Remember that other participants may choose to reproduce postings from this site, and EMDRIA has no control over that possibility. Our Community is a proprietary and closed social network, but we cannot ensure confidentiality of postings.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
- Please be aware that EMDRIA is an association of individuals who are deemed by law to be competitors in the marketplace. As such, any discussions regarding “appropriate” fees or other business practices that may be considered anti-competitive or potentially inconsistent with antitrust law will be deleted as soon as EMDRIA becomes aware of them, at EMDRIA’s sole discretion (see Legal Statement below).
EMDRIA routinely monitors community posts to ensure that Code of Conduct guidelines are being followed, but also relies on community members to self-moderate discussions. Any member of a community may flag a post which they believe is in violation of the Code of Conduct for EMDRIA's review.
Flagging a Post as Inappropriate
When a post is flagged, it is temporarily removed from the community and an alert is sent to the Online Community Manager. This administrative alert includes the name of the person who flagged the post and the reason why it was flagged.
Once the content has been reviewed by EMDRIA, it will either be permanently removed from the community or taken off moderation and made viewable in the community again.
Please note that depending on when a post is flagged, it may still appear in real-time and daily digest community notifications.
HOW TO FLAG A POST
Online - On the post, click on the arrow next to “Reply to Discussion” to get the dropdown menu. Click on “Mark As Inappropriate”. A pop-up box will appear requiring you to give a reason. After you do so, click Submit.
Email - Underneath the post in the email, click on the “Flag as Inappropriate” link. A web browser will open and you’ll be taken to the EMDRIA Online Community (you will need to sign in) where you’ll see a pop-up box requiring you to give a reason. After you do so, click Submit.
IF YOU FLAG A POST
- Flagging posts is anonymous to other community members. Your name is only shared with EMDRIA as part of the flagging process. It does not appear anywhere in the community that you have flagged a post.
- You will not receive a notification after you flag a post confirming your submission. Once you click Submit, the process is complete.
- You will not receive a notification from EMDRIA letting you know if the content was removed or not. Our main concern is notifying the poster if the post is removed.
IF YOUR POST IS FLAGGED
- You will not receive a notification that your post has been flagged. However, you may notice your post is no longer appearing in the online community or did not go out in the community notifications. If you contact us, we’ll let you know if it’s because it was flagged.
- If your post is flagged and EMDRIA determines it is appropriate, it will be made viewable again on the community. You will not be notified.
- If your post is flagged and EMDRIA determines it is inappropriate, we will send you an email notification that your post has been removed from the community and the reason why.
HIPAA and Confidentiality Notice
You agree not to post any information about any identified or identifiable patients.
Should you submit personal information, including personal health information, regarding a patient or other third party, you are responsible for ensuring that such third parties have been informed of and have given their consent, to the extent required by law, to the disclosure of their personal information.
Never disclose any material nonpublic information about your company or any other confidential information that is, or potentially is, proprietary, confidential, privileged or sensitive. Posting should not risk noncompliance with laws respecting the security and confidentiality of such protected information. If you have signed a confidentiality agreement, abide by its terms.
EMDRIA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by EMDRIA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall EMDRIA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants EMDRIA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
We Respect Your Privacy
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site
GOVERNMENT AND LEGAL DISCLOSURES
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
Changes to the Community Code of Conduct
EMDRIA reserves the right to change this Code of Conduct at any time. If we do so, we will post the changes here and to other such places that we deem appropriate.
Questions / Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Community Code of Conduct, you may contact the Online Community Manager, Christal Rosa, at email@example.com or EMDRIA at firstname.lastname@example.org.